Our curriculum for Year 1-6 is enriched by weekly theme afternoons, focusing on a calendar event or an area of pupils’ interest. Topics we have explored through our theme afternoons have included:
- Festivals such as Diwali, Hannukkah, Chinese New Year, Bonfire Night, Pancake Day
- Deaf awareness, Dementia awareness, mental health, Braille
- World Book Day, European Day of Languages, Science, Mapreading, Safer Internet Day, Road safety week, World Animal Day, World Food Day
- Parliament week, Scotland (St Andrews Day), Wales (St Davids Day), England (St Georges Day)
- Children’s interests including birdwatching, football and Valentines Day
- The national “Fiver Challenge” enterprise competition
Educational Visits and Visitors
We place very high priority on educational visits. We utilise these visits to stimulate interest in a new topic, to reinforce, encourage and expand children's experience and knowledge at first hand.
Recent visits have included Smithills Farm, Brockholes, Blue Planet Aquarium, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Catalyst, Clip and Climb, Clitheroe Castle, Brockhole-on-Windermere and many village visits. We also have workshops on site including author visits, Sing Together, creepy crawly roadshow, first aid and to support history themes such as Vikings and Egyptians
Our older children have the opportunity of taking part in an outdoor and adventurous residential weekend at Robinwood Residential Activity Centre arranged and organised by staff.
We also bring into school as much experience as is available from visitors such as a vet, florist, Boxing gold medallist, Fire Service, NSPCC and local council. Although we are a small school our use of visits and visitors is varied.
There are a variety of extra-curricular activities offered on a voluntary basis by staff, parents and outside tutors to the children throughout the year. Charges may be made for some classes as necessary to cover costs to the school. Recent extra-curricular activities have included tennis, football, judo, dodgeball, archery, multi-skills, choir, guitar tuition, sign language, forest school and science.