Our vision for MFL is to develop:
- successful learners who achieve their potential in MFL, being able to express their own ideas, opinions and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers, both in speech and in writing
- confident individuals who are provided with opportunities to communicate for practical purposes, learn new ways of thinking and read great literature in the original language
- responsible and spiritual citizens who are curious about the world, understand that learning a foreign language provides the foundation to learning other languages and enable them to study or work in other countries
- active engagement, drawing on appropriate outside expertise to enhance our MFL curriculum, such as links with high school language teachers.
In Key Stage 2, the school follows a three-year long term plan , which identifies the key concepts and skills to be taught through specific focuses for a term. Where possible topics are rotated or adapted to suit the topic the class has a focus on.
Our provision is further enriched with
- theme afternoons such as European Day of Languages
- picture news worship, promoting global citizenship
- relevant displays including French vocabulary cards around school
- French fashion shows, breakfast, café and pizza making
- participation in national initiatives such as achieving the Bronze Global Citizen Award
- performing Christmas and Easter plays in French as part of church services