At Higher Walton CE Primary School we provide a creative curriculum of topics, which takes account of our mixed-age school structure.
We have a rolling 3 year cycle of exciting topics for each age phase within the school:
- Foundation Stage (Nursery and Reception)
- Key Stage 1 and Year 3
- Key Stage 2 (Year 4 to 6)
- We adopt a creative and thematic approach to learning, mapped to the National Curriculum to ensure comprehensive coverage of national expectations. Our topics provide exciting and motivating learning activities that make creative links between all aspects of children’s learning. We plan our topic cycle drawing on resources and ideas from the Cornerstones Curriculum and the Lancashire Curriculum, using the best features of both in designing a curriculum that meets the needs and enthusiasms of our children.
There are 3 stages within each topic: Engage, Develop and Innovate.
At the ‘Engage’ stage, children:
- gain memorable first-hand experiences, such as going on a visit or inviting a special visitor into school
- enjoy ‘WOW’ experiences
- get an exciting introduction to a topic
- begin researching and setting enquiry questions
- have lots of fun to fully 'engage' with their new topic.
At the ‘Develop’ stage, children:
- improve their knowledge and understanding of the topic
- develop and practise their skills
- compose, make, do, build, investigate, explore
- research their own questions and those set by others
At the ‘Innovate’ stage, children:
- apply skills, knowledge and understanding in real-life contexts
- solve real or imagined problems using everything they’ve learnt
- get inspired by imaginative and creative opportunities
- revisit anything not fully grasped at the ‘Develop’ stage.
- share their achievements with parents, classmates or the community
- evaluate finished products and processes
- celebrate their achievements!
At all stages, children
- complete creative homework activities that support their learning.
We believe children learn better when they are encouraged to use their imagination and apply their learning to engaging contexts. Our curriculum provides lots of learning challenges that require children to solve problems, apply themselves creatively and express their knowledge and understanding effectively across the curriculum.
Our cycle of topics:
Find out more about our curriculum by
- talking to your child's teacher
- coming to one of our Friday celebration/sharing assemblies to see our good work
- contacting us to ask a specific question or to request more information
Although most of our lessons are taught through topics, some subjects are better taught as "stand-alone" subjects:
|Maths||We use White Rose maths scheme for our daily Maths lessons.|
|Music||Our Music scheme is Charanga - an online music resource - and includes learning to play the recorder and glockenspiel.|
|MFL||Our main modern foreign language is French.|
Our Physical Education scheme is based on the Lancashire scheme of work which includes games, gymnastics, dance and athletics. Swimming is also taught in KS2.
We work with Premier Sport, employing a sports coach to help us deliver high quality PE and after school activities.
|RE||We follow the Blackburn Diocese scheme for Religious Education, studying Christianity and other religions|
|PHSE||We use a variety of resources to teach Personal, Health and Social Education, including Relationship Education|