Our vision for P.E is to develop
- successful learners who achieve their potential in P.E
- confident individuals who develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to help them perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities, including swimming confidently
- responsible and spiritual citizens who are able to demonstrate fairness and respect to others
- active engagement, drawing on appropriate outside expertise to enhance our P.E curriculum such as swimming tuition and sports coaching within the curriculum and as extra-curricular provision
P.E is part of a child’s broad, balanced curriculum, integral to the basic curriculum of the school and part of the child’s all-round development. We provide opportunities to take part in a wide range of sporting activities which are carried out in a safe and supportive environment, where effort and hard work, as well as success, is celebrated and enjoyment and working together as a team is promoted. Our curriculum fulfils and goes beyond the requirements of the national curriculum ensuring that all pupils:
- develop competence in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
We work on fundamental skills in EYFS and follow the Lancashire scheme of work from Year 1 to Year 6, which identifies the key concepts and skills to be taught in each year group through discrete P.E topics. External coaching is provided every week by Premier Sports. This provision provides children with fun engaging lessons in a range of disciplines. It also serves as professional development for staff who observe and participate in all lessons. The knowledge and skills in each unit of work are laid down in the scheme of work which covers our overarching concepts of fundamental skills, team games, gymnastics and dance.
Swimming tuition is provided at Brinscall swimming baths; we take all children in Years 4,5 and 6 for swimming lessons.
Our provision is further enriched with:
- Extra curricular activities such as dodgeball, archery, multi skills, football, judo and tennis provided at lunchtime and after school
- Competitions, Festivals and Sports Days within school and locally eg football, tennis, athletics, orienteering, dance and cricket
- Theme afternoons/weeks such as First Kick football, “dance through the decades”
- Visiting speakers/ activity organisers such as climbing wall, Olympic Boxer Lisa Whiteside, Judo coaching, Yoga
- Forest school sessions
- Robinwood residential weekend for pupils in Year 4, 5 and 6 - an action packed weekend of outdoor and adventurous acticities usually including canoeing, raft-building, caving, trapeze, archery, problem-solving and team-building activities
- Participation in national initiatives such as Primary School Games Mark, Sport Relief, Inspire through Sport, Blackburn Rovers – Joy of Movement, National Football Week
Here are some of Year 4/5 taking part in a multi-schools launch event with Commando Joes.
We took part in the Commonwealth Games Lancashire Baton Relay, receiving the baton from Clayton Brook and taking it to Brindle Gregson Lane.